Sunday, January 1, 2017

Lost in Translation

I feel that we, as a generation, have reached a stage where we blindly, unaware follow trends; popular ones. We start keeping up with things and issues and topics that are "hype"  and "lit" and without even noticing we start imitating those followers. Not necessarily because we ARE followers but because it sends this vibe, this urge for the need to be amongst this set of people or these groupies.
It makes us reach a point where we don't even know anymore if we really like certain things because we do or because everyone does or because it's actually pretty good to like. This is probably why tons, thousands, billions of kids my age (even thou I am 22 and technically not a kid anymore but we sort of still are kids) are going  through identity loss crisis.
They don't know who they're anymore, what they like, what they don't, what are their talents, why is this their hobby and other "wtf I'm doing this" problems.
Everyone loves art, everyone has a tumblr account, everyone has at least 10 black and white selfies, everyone can write a set of words glued next to each other and call himself a poet, everyone can paint a naked girl smoking and call himself an artist, yadayadayadayada. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against anyone who does anything of what I've previously mentioned, I myself am involved in pretty much most of them, but my point is that we've all lost it.
We don't know anything anymore. We've lost ourselves; the most precious we own. We're living in our imaginary little world, the parallel universe, the hip indie bubble of popularity.
We care about what we like, which trend we follow, which group to become a member at, what music we listen to, what art we look at and we care so very much about showing it to the world. "Look! I am just like you. Cool and hipster and trendy and aesthetic. Love me."
Again, not that there's anything wrong with that as long as you're aware of it. As long as you really are doing this out of your own willingness. As long  as you deep deep deep deep down know that this is you, not the version of you that you want to become.
I don't know who I'm anymore or what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment